Rosacea – redness of the skin, blisters, pustules, etc. is a chronic skin disease observed with the formation of rashes. About half of the patients also have redness in the eyes.
The exact causes of rosacea are still unknown. It is estimated that the reason for the formation of rosacea is the increased sensitivity of the vessels of the face to various irritants. The superficial arteries of patients with rosacea dilate under the influence of irritants, while those of healthy people do not react at all.
Previously, it was believed that the main cause of rosacea was demodex, a microscopic mite that lives in the sebaceous glands and hair follicles of the skin. A subcutaneous mite causes a special disease - demodicosis, which provokes rosacea. It is now known that demodex is also present in healthy people. Therefore, many scientists consider demodex as a secondary cause.
Medicinal rosacea can be caused by drugs, and steroid rosacea can be caused by corticosteroid ointments.
The main symptoms of rosacea:
- Constant redness of the face - Mainly affects the middle part of the face (forehead, nose, chin, cheeks). The rash may also spread to the chest and back
- Rashes on the face - first small pink nodules (papules) appear on the background of redness, and then pus (pustules, pimples) appear
- Thickening of the skin in the area of redness - This occurs in the late stage of the disease.
- Vascular dilation and vascular network formation (telangiectasias)
- Rhinophyma - stable redness and thickening of the skin of the nose
- Redness of the eyes. It occurs in about half of patients. Redness, dryness, feeling of dust, burning, feeling of a foreign body, lacrimation are observed in the eyes.
Treatment of rosacea can be general or local. Local treatment includes ointments and creams containing ichthyol, naphthalan, metronidazole, azelaic acid, pimecrolimus, tacrolimus, ivermectin (Solantra), cold soaks, etc. belongs to. Ointments and creams prevent the development of inflammation due to the antiseptics contained in them, and soaks reduce redness.